Thursday, July 31, 2008

Good Family Fun, If "Family" Means "Not at all intended for the family"

For one reason or another, I have never really been much of a drinker. When I weigh the calorie/taste ratio, I prefer to utilize my calories on something scrumptious like cake, or beer-flavored ice cream. As a result, I am sadly unaware of many of the more party oriented activities taking place on a regular basis here in Michigan - which is why Alex deserves some appreciation for this post.

Every year on Houghton Lake (about 2.5 hours north of Detroit on I-75), the world throws a party called the Bud Bash. If the name does not clarify enough the goals and themes of the day, it is mostly a drunken party mess with tons of boats anchored just off the shore - so technically the party takes place "on" the lake. With that said, you're in luck. The party is this Saturday!

The website includes such useful insights as "Do NOT pee on school grounds." I guess the police have a boat on it with a few benches and people who do pee on school grounds spend their day floating around in handcuffs. They take this rule very seriously. If you are free on Saturday and have somewhere between 24-36 hours available to detoxify post-Bud Bash, the people I know who head to Houghton Lake have a ridiculously good time.

When you're there, make sure to come up with ironic and hilarious nicknames for everyone. For example, call the fat guy "Slim" and the dumb guy "Braniac." Irony is delicious.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the many reasons I love the Houghton Lake area...

Daniel J. said...

I used to frequent a cottage right on Higgins lake - third clearest lake in Michigan. You can see the bottom at 100 feet. Sick huh, Brainiac!? Oh and alcohol is good for, oh yea, nothing. So don't feel bad that you have half a brain and realize this at a young age. Unfortunately, I have chosen the path of idiocracy on quite an often occasion. I could spend days just generally telling you the stories that have encompassed the last five years. And that's just the bad stories. I usually try to keep my good to bad ratio at about 2 to 1, respectively. Adio.