Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Some More Self-Perspective

Perhaps the funniest and most challenging part of this "Have my own website" journey is the way in which people do or don't respond to what I write, how many people come here to read, and what message people actually take from the posts. It is enlightening how points I try to make come across as unclear to others when I am under the impression that I'm being crystal-clear when I do my standard re-reading for proofreading and to revel in my general excellence.

I think I do a pretty darn good job at this internet thing with respect to relevance, personal point-of-view, and above all, quantity (real writers argue that quantity is far less important than quality, but I hold quantity in the utmost respect). With all of these good things, the main goal remains to increase readership and provide a wider-reaching interesting voice during these difficult times.

To keep my aspirations and bloated ego in check, it is appropriately humbling to be reminded how much people care about everything other than what I think. For example, this photo of my sister's new baby generated more interest than anything I've written in the past 6 months. Granted, I do have an exclusive on this piece of digital information, but it kind of cracks me up that no matter what, a photo of my new nephew who can't even talk or formulate abstract thought is considerably more interesting than anything I could ever write. This is why I am proud to announce that instead of all of my old rubbish, I'm converting to a format of posting nothing but new baby photos and dogs wearing hats - and the dogs wearing hats isn't even my own idea. I stole it from South Park.

4 comments:

Jeff Caminsky said...

You might want to check with your father for an expert opinion...but from where I'm sitting, it looks like those dogs' faces are all attached to their heads.

Anonymous said...

And to really become popular, you might post babies wearing hats.

Ken said...

I like the hats on babies idea. I'm going to push on Gail and Jeff for that one.

Unknown said...

I am a sucker for dogs OR babies wearing hats. Babies wearing anything, actually. Keep on publishing, and thanks for the photos.