Wednesday, December 17, 2008

On Behalf of Another

My soapbox is small but my feet are big, and those two things, when taken together, have absolutely no bearing on each other. I just thought I would let you know that I wear a size 16 shoe.

One of the first people who supported me and continues to encourage me to write despite the fact that it is absolutely impossible for me to get more than 30 readers a day is Alex. Today he contacted me and asked that I post something about a cause very close to his family, and I am happy to assist in my own small way. His aunt has authored a bill with the very descriptive name of "HB 5046, The Restroom Access Act" that is currently considered for vote in the Michigan State House. As you may be able to tell from my last post, restrooms are very near and dear to my heart, and this bill would enable people with Crohn's Disease (and some other medical conditions) to have access to Employees Only restrooms only when a public restroom does not exist. If you have access to Facebook, here is a note written by the bill's author. If you do not have access, here is a longer quote from the note:

The legislation will provide people with fecal or urinary incontinence - including those with Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis and expectant mothers - access to private, "employee only" restrooms in businesses open to the public when a public restroom doesn't exist. We have the support and votes to get this passed this year, and Senator Bishop is the one responsible for bringing it up for a vote. Call Senator Bishop and tell him Michigan needs to fall in line with the five other states that have passed this legislation since it was first introduced in Michigan. Tell him to order a vote on the measure this week before the lame duck session is over!

You can reach Mike Bishop at 517-373-2417. One of our greatest rights as Americans is bathroom solidarity.

I'm always trying to figure out ways to write as much as possible on my blog, so if you'd like me to promote anything that isn't illegal, let me know. Anime conferences? Sure. Your cat stuck in a tree? I'm happy to help out. I am your mouthpiece, people, just taller and with bigger feet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your post. Alex is my nephew and I am the author about whom he wrote. Unite for bathroom rights!!
Jill Sklar

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ken!