Monday, August 4, 2008

Trombone Guy and Granimal

For high school, I attended a fine institution known as The University of Detroit Jesuit High School and Academy (Established 1877). I am immensely proud of this school and my experiences there, as well as the young men it annually churns out. This is why I was not particularly shocked to find out that two of my peers, one in my graduating class and one a couple years younger, are vying for positions as Michigan state representatives in tomorrow's election. Both of these guys are younger than 30, which is pretty ambitious. Their names are Dan Grano and Marlon Brown.

As far as I can tell, their political leanings could not be more different from each other, but it is exciting that there are people who are in my age group (we are now officially known as "millennials", though I would have gone with something original like "the greatest generation" were I in charge) who are actually doing more with their time to make a difference than blog. Zing me.

I haven't talked to Dan in a few years and Marlon wasn't actually in my class, but I can say that Marlon was in the high school band with me and that he played trombone. That makes both of us very, very cool. On top of that, he could mostly march on the beat, which unarguably makes him suitable for state government. Yup - that means we were in the marching band. Very, very cool. I guess that Marlon has also been endorsed by both The Detroit News and The Detroit Free Press, but there is no way those endorsements can compete with trombone-marching.

Check out their websites with the links I provided, and if you happen to be in their districts and agree with their viewpoints, take to the streets and place your vote. While you're there, why don't you also remember to vote FOR the zoo millage.

No comments: