Friday, March 27, 2009

Gauging my Devotion

A pleasant and talented young chap named Matt Giraud is representing Michigan in the final 9 of the juggernaut we all know, love, and are sucked into the immense gravitation force that is American Idol. The good news is that he's legitimately talented and I don't have to throw blind support behind him simply because he is from Michigan. Here's where it gets complicated - in American Idol terms, support really only means voting for the person. Long ago when I started dabbling in the black arts that are American Idol, I swore to myself that I would never, ever participate in any variation of voting in this show.

"Dude, you watch American Idol?"
"Yeah, but it's cool, I don't vote."

Yesterday, Matt was in the bottom two and barely avoided elimination this week. This would have been disappointing for a number of reasons, but mostly because he definitely did not deserve to be in the bottom two based on the performances of Wednesday night (and the last few weeks). So begins the mental anguish of internally debating whether or not to pick up the phone and vote for the man, at which point I will have to sacrifice my firstborn male son per an earlier compromise between God, Satan, and Simon Cowell.

5 comments:

AlexJD said...

Don't do it.

"You are unwise to lower your defenses!" -Darth Vader

Don't go to the dark side.

Dan Anderson said...

So will you vote?

Ken said...

I haven't decided yet! I'm leaning toward no, because I'm not sure I could ever really forgive myself. It looks like you were able to add comments again, Dan? That, or someone impersonating you is up to no good!

Dan Anderson said...

A few hours later it worked.

...and if someone commented in a reasonable manner than they would just be "up to good" anyway, heh.

Jeff Caminsky said...

We might want to check with the Jedi Council and Bird-watching Society, but I don't think that a single vote would constitute "going over to the dark side," unless it was a vote for the pretty girl who can't really sing.

On the other hand, compromising principles merely because you've noticed that the rest of America has questionable musical tastes is a definite, albeit, small step in that direction, and may not be in your long-term best interests.