Thursday, November 20, 2008

Some Guy Who is Smarter than Me

Paul Krugman is some guy who has been in the news an awful lot lately. In 2008, he was awarded the Nobel Prize for Economic Sciences. I was being considered for this and other Nobel Prizes, but then the Nobel committee realized that they had never heard of me and that I'm an idiot. Earlier tonight, Mr. Krugman was on the Rachel Maddow Show on MSNBC. In the past, I've never much cared for political talk shows, but something about this show keeps me watching. Lots of people have lots of different opinions about the domestic automobile industry, but I thought that the guy who just won the Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences who is also a professor at Princeton and writes for The New York Times may offer some worthwhile input into the topic. What I don't understand is that yesterday during the Senate hearings with the Big 3 CEOs, there was some guy in a bowtie who teaches at the University of Maryland who said things, seriously, like "I know what I'm talking about here" and he was the anti-auto guy. Why didn't the Big 3 bring along Paul Krugman and say something like "our super smart dork is way better than your super smart dork" and then have Paul K. speak on their behalf?



On one other auto-related note for the evening/now morning, here is a pretty interesting commentary written by Peter Karmanos, founder and CEO of Compuware. In it, he highlights the hypocrisy of Senator Shelby from the great state of Alabama. I don't want to regurgitate his thoughts, so I request that you take a minute to read through the commentary to better understand some of Senator Shelby's "Do as I say not as I do" attitude. Alabama, I would like to point out, would be in quite an advantageous and lucrative position in the event of Big 3 failure. There are two things that I truly hate in this world - hypocrisy and spiders. And Subway shops that don't sell $5 footlongs. And elevator door close buttons that don't work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ken, Good video. I had not heard from Paul Krugman on this issue yet, so it was good to get his thoughts. I will be interested to hear what, if any, conditions he might suggest if the loan is made. I respect his opinion considerably.

Nick said...

Nice video Ken.

The market didn't see this coming!

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a6szHA.vC6Uk&refer=home