Wednesday, June 18, 2008

It All Starts with Family

This is the first in a likely infinite series of thoughts regarding the value of family, and possibly my family specifically. I am not a psychologist, nor have I studied the value of having a married mother and father, two fathers, two mothers, or an anteater as pet. That is to say - I only know what I know. And I know that nothing is more important to me in Michigan than my family. Even in states with strong economies, young and old adults alike strike out into other distant parts of the world for a job, a significant other, or just the opportunity to see and do something new and exciting. All of these are excellent reasons to leave any place, and it would be wrong to discourage any individual to evolve through experiencing something new in life. Even with all the excitement and activities in the wider-world, nothing has the pull of family, and nothing will positively bond me to Michigan as strongly as the people who are largely responsible for the person I am.

The goal here is not over-sentimentality, but sometimes it seems inevitable. Regardless of your relationship with your mom, dad, brother, sister, or person who you think is your aunt-in-law but you're not too sure, your family will always be there to support you as best they can when the weight of the world is just too much. These days, the weight of the world is a little heavier than usual, but the unyielding support of our families makes life more than simply livable. Family can provide comfort and security at times when comfort and security seem out of reasonable reach.

"Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family. Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one."

~Jane Howard

No comments: