Wednesday, June 18, 2008

In the Eye of the Storm - Why I Write

My name is Ken. I am 26 years old. I was born, raised, educated, and continue to live and work in the state I hope to always consider my home - Michigan. We are a state that has experienced the highest times and the lowest times. Right now, to say that we are at a low is probably a bit of an understatement. Every day, those of us who regularly read and enjoy The Detroit Free Press or The Detroit News are inundated with the bleak news of our "one-state recession" driven by painful restructuring in the domestic automotive industry, well-meaning but misdirected political leadership, and a well-documented brain drain. Unemployment and general despair are up, and enthusiasm, hope, and the belief in a better future are down, if existent at all.

I know, I know - if you live in or around Michigan or read any financial publications, you are already acutely aware of the pain experienced in the Great Lakes State. My goal and purpose in writing this blog is not to become another member of the world highlighting our woes and emphasizing the need to just leave town. In fact, I aim much, much higher. I endeavor to do my own small part in the world to try to construct a foundation of pride and optimism for our state. Pride and optimism alone will certainly not begin to solve our problems, but I refuse to live a life of crushing despair and negativism. I truly believe that with a common mindset we can start to build some of the momentum required to morph our economy, stand up and fight for our little piece of Earth and our cities, and develop a place that the next generation will also be proud to call home.

No comments: