Sunday, June 27, 2010

Weekend Entertainment

Earlier this morning, my parents, grandma, uncle, Maureen, and I went to go see Toy Story 3. If you are a human being with a beating heart and you don't enjoy kicking puppies, you need to go see this movie. If you have all the previously-mentioned characteristics and also have the slightest interest in Pixar, you should also try to check out a CNBC special "The Pixar Story" from 2007. Just based on when this documentary was produced it is a tiny bit outdated, but it is mostly about the development and early success of Pixar, and that is not affected by the time. Maureen and I are watching it right now and it is absolutely fascinating.

I don't watch enough movies to consider myself anything resembling a movie aficionado (as you know my true non-human, non-living love is television), but watching Pixar movies throughout the duration of the movie and for a period of time after makes me feel like an awe-inspired and giddy little boy. Most importantly for me, their productions consistently cause me to pause and appreciate all of the great things about being alive. I'm not one to really ever cry, but the first five minutes of Up! and last 10 minutes of Toy Story 3 had me welling up. It's not easy to try to casually wipe away the stray tear with those stupid 3-D glasses on your face. The upside to them is that the glasses give you a couple of additional moments to compose yourself and let any eye redness reduce or hopefully completely go away.

The only downside to the pleasure that Pixar has contributed to the lives of people all over planet earth is that I believe the Steve Jobs is, was, and will always be a major prick, but I'm sadly forced to appreciate his early financial backing to the Pixar machine.

No comments: