Tuesday, April 7, 2009

In Stride

Almost every single day, something bad happens to you, me, or that guy over there. It is an unfortunate circumstance of life, and most of the time, I'd like to think that the number of good things that happen far outweigh the bad. Regretfully for now, it seems like bad and good are racing neck and neck with the real chance that bad is going to win this round. Super sucky, yes. In Michigan we are face-to-face with the bad on many levels and yet continue to embrace any silver lining that may creep onto the horizon.

With this in mind, I'd like to remind you that no matter who you are, no matter what you're doing right now, things could be oh so worse and that alone may be able to help you take your day a little more in stride. For example, I was taking my early evening run during today's unseasonably cold day, when a large white lump fell from the sky and landed not more than 2 feet away from me directly in my path. If that bird had decided to wait just 2 more seconds to hold his poo, I would have had bird turd frozen in my hair, about 2 miles from my house. So despite everything else that is challenging right now, I'd like to thank that bird for not holding it and keeping me relatively clean and comfortable on this slightly-better-than-it-could-have-been day .

No matter who you are, no matter what you're doing, I promise you things would be worse if a bird took a crap in your hair right at this second. This is a ridiculous (and true) example, but take just a second today/tomorrow/next week to appreciate all of the things that you do not have to deal with right now. These don't have to be crazy things like "I built a time machine and ended up on the maiden voyage of the Titanic", because there are several very possible things that, for now, we do not have to confront.

Keep going guys.

1 comment:

Dan Anderson said...

I remember in grade school a classmate put on a ball cap outside and a second later some poo landed on his head. Amazing timing.